Discouragement — Dagger of the Soul!By
DISCOURAGEMENT–DAGGER OF THE SOUL!
by Eddie Lawrence
A Sermon Seedbed Bible Study
Please open your Bible and read 1 Samuel 30:1-19. After you have read the passage please go through the following outline and relate each point to the passages indicated as well as what you have read. Ask the Holy Spirit to apply it to your own life and those to whom you will be teaching. People can always use encouragement.
What is discouragement? It is that defeated feeling which is present when all of your strength and courage of soul has been stolen away. You feel alone, worthless, tired, confused, and ready to give up. Discouragement is like a dagger that rips open your soul and drains it of its courage.
What is that can cause a man to be discouraged?
1. DISCOURAGEMENT CAN COME BECAUSE OF REJECTION (1 Sam. 29:6ff)
2. DISCOURAGEMENT CAN COME BECAUSE OF ANOTHER’S FAILURE TO OBEY GOD (1 Sam. 28:18) (If Saul had obeyed God, David would never have suffered this event.)
3. DISCOURAGEMENT CAN COME WHEN YOU SUFFER SOME KIND OF LOSS (city burned, wives taken,children taken)
4. DISCOURAGEMENT CAN COME WHEN YOU ARE FEELING DESPERATE (1 Sam. 30:6)
5. DISCOURAGEMENT CAN COME WHEN OTHERS ARE UPSET WITH YOU
AND BLAME YOU FOR CAUSING TROUBLE (1 Sam. 30:6)
What does it mean to encourage yourself in the Lord?
1. It means you look to God for strength
2. It means you realize that you don’t have the strength yourself
3. It means you seek God and respond to what He says.
What are the results of being encouraged in the Lord?
1. GOD GAVE DAVID A PROMISE THAT THINGS WERE GOING TO GET BETTER
2. GOD PROMISED DAVID TOTAL RECOVERY
3. GOD GAVE DAVID ASSURANCE BEFORE THE BATTLE
4. GOD SAW DAVID THROUGH THE BATTLE
5. GOD GAVE DAVID MORE THAN BEFORE
6. DAVID BELIEVED WHAT GOD TOLD HIM
7. DAVID OBEYED WHAT GOD TOLD HIM
8. DAVID FOUGHT HARD
Psalm 27: 13 [I had fainted], unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. 14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
You can defeat the dagger of discouragement with the sword of the word.
Other title ideas:
How to Get Up When You're Down!
Who is There When Everyone has Left?
What to do When Bad Turns to Worse!
As a husband, father, pastor, author, and web developer, Eddie lives an exciting and productive life. He holds earned Master of Divinity and Doctor of Ministry degrees and is also the owner of Sermon Seedbed.
We LOVE you so.. how about liking us on Facebook?..
Powered By Facebook Like Post Plugin